It seems like for the past few weeks Shikata Akiko was the only artist getting all the attention, but… not this time. This time it is about Red Garden Original Soundtrack, a beautiful album by Senju Akira (千住明) introduced to me not long ago (thanks zzeroparticle~).
I noticed that a lot of things I grew to love didn’t always appeal to me on my first try. Sometimes it makes me wonder if I really actually like them or I am just got accustomed to them. But in any case, this Red Garden OST is an exception.
- Main Theme ~ Sou dearu to Negau Kara (メインテーマ～そうであると願うから) (sample) http://sites.google.com/site/depthcharge101posts/media/090417redgarden-maintheme.mp3?attredirects=0
- Kojin no Shi (個人の死) (sample) http://sites.google.com/site/depthcharge101posts/media/090417redgarden-kojinnoshi.mp3?attredirects=0
- Hai Iro no Shiawase (灰色の幸せ) (sample) http://sites.google.com/site/depthcharge101posts/media/090417redgarden-haiironoshiawaseHaiironoShiawase.mp3?attredirects=0
- Kyou wa Owari Dakara (今日は終わりだから) (sample) http://sites.google.com/site/depthcharge101posts/media/090417redgarden-kyouwaowaridakara.mp3?attredirects=0
- Mienai Hikari (見えない光) (sample) http://sites.google.com/site/depthcharge101posts/media/090417redgarden-mienaihikari.mp3?attredirects=0
- nata to Ita Kara Mieta Koto (貴方といたから見えたこと) (sample) http://sites.google.com/site/depthcharge101posts/media/090417redgarden-anatatoitakaramietakoto.mp3?attredirects=0
- Susumu, Soshite Susumu (進む、そして進む) (sample) http://sites.google.com/site/depthcharge101posts/media/090417redgarden-susumu%2Csoshitesusumu.mp3?attredirects=0
- Te no Kasanari (手の重なり) (sample) http://sites.google.com/site/depthcharge101posts/media/090417redgarden-tenokasanari.mp3?attredirects=0
- Akai Niwa (赤い庭) (sample) http://sites.google.com/site/depthcharge101posts/media/090417redgarden-akainiwa.mp3?attredirects=0
- Ai ~ Wazuka na Omoide (藍～僅かな思い出) (sample) http://sites.google.com/site/depthcharge101posts/media/090417redgarden-ai~wazukanaomoide.mp3?attredirects=0
- Sumire ~ You to Tomoni (菫～陽と共に) (sample) http://sites.google.com/site/depthcharge101posts/media/090417redgarden-sumire~youtotomoni.mp3?attredirects=0
I was charmed when I listened to the first track, Main Theme ~ Sou dearu to Negau Kara. The first minute introductory might feel uninteresting and generic, but the real treat doesn’t start until the flute kicks in a little after a minute. From then on, the theme of the album – Hope or Longing, is conveyed with a mixture of heavenly oboe, strings and light harp arranged melody.
The second track, Kojin no Shi is an example of Senju Akira’s elegant manipulation of mood and tension in his music. With 2 simple layers of instruments, the depression, fear and anxiety related to death are vividly expressed. My only gripe with the track is that it is a little too short ><
KOKIA also sang for a few tracks in this album (although every track in this album is composed and arranged by Senju himself). If you have heard her albums before, be surprised. It’s nothing that resembles her usual music, the closest comparison would be her stood-out-from-the-rest Trip Trip album, but even so it is quite different. A hymn of KOKIA harmonizing Senju’s mesmerizing aria is probably the best description to for all her tracks in this album.
The most amazing thing I find in this album, is Senju Akira’s ability to blend classical with hints of modern elements in his music. Probably not everyone’s cup of tea, but I recommend a listen on a quiet night before sleep :)